Transport strike looms: No alternative so far
The Transport Department has received no response from private bus operators and maxi cabs to run alternative services across the state including in
Transport Commissioner N Shivakumar said that they have not got any response so far. “No service provider came forward. We are hoping that the protest plan would be withdrawn. If not, we will start talking to the private bus operations tomorrow,” he said.
It’s learnt that the bunch of
In a press meet on Monday, Savadi said that the government is willing to bring 1.3 lakh transport workers under the
So far, the government has had six rounds of discussions on providing salaries to the transport workers on par with the recommendations of the 6th pay commission. “The changes would lead to additional burden of Rs 3,800 crore on the four transport corporations over the next four years. There has also been a discussion on ways to mobilise the money through various means internally,” he said and added that the government has accepted all the other demands put forth by the unions.
The government said that the protest called by the unions is likely to disrupt the service as it had last year. At least 65 lakh people use buses on a daily basis across the state.