Pandemic looms large over Bengaluru Karaga | Bengaluru News – Times of India


BENGALURU: For a second consecutive year, Covid-19 has cast its shadow on Bengaluru Karaga, the city’s flagship festival.
While the festival was officially banned last year, Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) will take a call later this month on whether to allow it to go ahead this year. The event, associated with the Thigala community, is scheduled to be held from April 19 to 27 and usually attracts lakhs of devotees every year.
Sources say the second wave of Covid-19 infections has put authorities in a fix on whether to allow the event as they are under pressure from local elected representatives. On Monday, BBMP commissioner Gaurav Gupta and other officials discussed the issue at a meeting and said that a decision would be taken soon.
For the first time last year, the 350-year-old Karaga procession, which marks the culmination of the more than week-long celebration, was not held.
A Utsava committee needs to be formed before taking any decisions and an official from Hindu Religious Institutions and charitable endowment department has been appointed as administrator. Bengaluru urban district deputy commissioner J Manjunath said the second Covid wave will be considered while taking a decision.
Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement

Sagar Biswas

Leave a Reply

Close Bitnami banner
Bitnami