NIA court files charges against 2005 IISc-Bengaluru attacker | Bengaluru News – Times of India

Bengaluru: Sixteen years after two men shot dead an academic participating in a conference at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) campus here, the NIA special court recently framed charges against the lone accused currently in the custody of the authorities, reports Santoshkumar R B.
Prof MC Puri of IIT-Delhi was killed on Dec 28, 2005 in IISc in what is said to be the 1st terror attack in Bengaluru.
Accused helped Lashkar’s Hamzacarry out IISc terror attack in 2005
Among the eight other accused, Habeeb Miya was the only other accused to be arrested in 2017 and acquitted in June this year for lack of prima facie evidence.
Charges were framed against Sabahuddin Ahamad alias Sabha alias Farhan under the IPC, Arms Act, Explosive Substances Act, and the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act on September 23. The court will set the date for commencement of trial against Ahamad, from Bihar.
Ahamad, accused No. 1 in the case, is said to have aided Lashkar-e-Taiba’s Abu Hamza enter and exit India. While Hamza and six others connected to the incident were never captured, Ahamad was picked up from Nepal in 2008.
The accused was produced before the Bengaluru court through video conferencing from the Lucknow District Prison. Ahamad raised no objections to the framing of charges through the video conference. The charge for the offences was read over and explained to Ahamad in Hindi and English languages which he claimed to know. The accused pleaded not guilty.
Jail officials from the Lucknow district court co-ordinated the hearing for the framing of the charges.
According to the chargesheet, Abu Hamza, Mujamil alias Yusuf, Abdul Azeez, Athif, Abubakar, Zaki-ur-Rehaman Lakvi, Mohammed Habeeb alias Habeeb Miya and Basheer were the other accused in the case. Ahamad was the only accused who had been arrested when the chargesheet was filed in 2008. He had been arrested by UP police in another terror case. Lakvi was reportedly convicted in Pakistan on the charges of terror financing in January this year.
Ahamad confessed that he along with Hamza had carried out the attack in IISc in December 2005 and also named Habeeb Miya as the one who helped him cross the Indian border illegally from Tripura to Bangladesh. Miya was arrested on March 22, 2017, by Central Crime Branch, Bengaluru, following which a split up charge-sheet was filed in the case.
Miya, who is from Agartala and was accused No. 7 in the case, filed a petition before the court in 2018 seeking to be discharged as the prosecution failed to prove his involvement in the case.
He was acquitted by the court on June 14 this year. According to prosecution, Ahamad was engaged in jihadi activities and terrorist organizations in Pakistan trained him to commit terrorist and disruptive activities in Bengaluru. Ahamad met many LeT people in Dhaka. He came to India with Hamza.
He barged into the compound of IISc, Bengaluru, and escaped after assisting Hamza in commiting the act.

Source link


Sagar Biswas

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *