Karnataka: Revenue chief will probe Shivamogga blast | Bengaluru News – Times of India


BENGALURU: Home and law minister Basavaraj Bommai on Monday rejected the opposition demand for a judicial probe into the Shivamogga blast that claimed six lives on January 21.
“The judicial inquiry, in fact, will slow down the process. We want to take it to a logical end quickly. So, we’re commissioning an inquiry by the revenue commissioner. We want to crack the whip on all illegal quarries in the state,” Bommai said, in his reply to the adjournment motion moved by the Congress in the legislative assembly.
He said the licence for quarrying at Honasodu site was given by the JD(S)-Congress government in 2019 though it was illegal.
Bommai also clarified that chief minister Yediyurappa had never said the government would regularise illegal mines, but that they would be closed.
Opposition leader Siddaramaiah had earlier demanded a probe headed by a sitting judge of the high court. “Criminal cases should be booked against those responsible for the blast. Investigators in the FIR have framed minor charges such as culpable homicide, but what has been committed is a much bigger crime. According to the Explosives Act, the punishment is not less than life imprisonment or death penalty,” he said.
He pointed out that BJP MLC Ayanuru Manjunath had mentioned that a cache of explosives was found days before the blast and a police complaint was also lodged. He wanted to know as to why officials did not act.
Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement

Sagar Biswas

Leave a Reply

Close Bitnami banner
Bitnami