Karnataka CM orders probe into Nanjangud doctor’s death | Mysuru News – Times of India

MYSURU: Chief minister BS Yediyurappa on Friday ordered a probe into the death of Nanjangud taluk medical officer Dr SR Nagendra, following allegations that he killed himself under stress over ramping up testing for Covid-19. The Mysuru regional commissioner has been directed to submit an inquiry report in a week.
The decision came even as medical officers demanded the suspension of zila panchayat CEO Prashanth Kumar Mishra for allegedly pressuring Nagendra to increase rapid antigen testing. District minister ST Somashekar told protesting doctors that Mishra would be transferred.
During his visit to the Kabini dam site, the CM said he was treating the death as a special case. “We have extended to the family Rs 50 lakh compensation and a job to a family member on compassionate grounds,” he said.
Not good to politicise doc’s death: Sudhakar

The regional commissioner has been directed to conduct an impartial and thorough investigation,” the CM said.
Mysuru City police have taken up a case under provisions of IPC 306 (abetting suicide) against unnamed officers, following a complaint from Nagendra’s father.
DCP (law and order) AN Prakash-Gowda said Ramakrishna alleged
that his son was being pressured at work by some senior officials and this may have driven him to take the extreme step.
Taking to Twitter, medical education minister K Sudhakar said the government was aware of the difficulties faced by medical officers in the fight against Covid-19: “We have discussed the problems of medical officers … It is not good to politicise the death.”
District minister ST Somashekar, who met Nagendra’s family members at KR Hospital, faced the anger of doctors over the government’s response to their protest on Thursday. As they sought the zilla panchayat CEO’s suspension, Somashekar said Mishra would be transferred to avoid further tension. The IAS officer, incidentally, stayed away from the CM’s event in Mysuru on Friday.
Ravikumar T, member of Medical Officers Association, said Nagendra was cremated on Friday noon, after which members held a meeting at Vaidyara Bhavan near DHO office and decided to continue their protest. As many as150 medical officers have stayed away from work since Nagendra’s death and the protest is likely to continue.

Source link


Sagar Biswas

Leave a Reply