Airport Metro will take off from here


25-acre land in Shettigere has been identified to serve as depot

Around 25 acres of land in Shettigere near Trumpet flyover has been identified for building a depot that will cater to the 37-km Metro corridor connecting Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) from KR Puram. The Bengaluru Metro Rail Corporation Ltd (BMRCL) has already started the process of acquiring the land, all of which belongs to the state government. The timely acquisition is expected to help the BMRCL in constructing the depot on time.

Of the 25 acres, officials said that they have nearly cleared all the procedures required to take custody of about 18 acres of land. “Acquisition of the remaining portion of the land has been challenged by an individual stating that it was granted to him by the government. We have referred the matter to the deputy commissioner,” Channappa Gowdar, General Manager (Land Acquisition) at BMRCL said.

The depot in Shettigere is expected to ease pressure on the the currently-operational depot in Baiyappanahalli, which will be put to use for servicing the trains that run between Central Silk Board and KR Puram. The under construction depot in Kadugodi and Challaghatta (work has not started here) will be used for servicing the trains that run on the East – West Corridor between Kengeri

Advertisement
and Whitefield. Officials plan to remodel the Baiyappanahalli depot by building one more floor for the maintenance of trains.

.

Phase II A and B

While the BMRCL has already taken possession of land required between Central Silk Board and KR Puram (Phase II-A), officials said they have acquired about 80 per cent of the land needed for the 37-km corridor from KR Puram (Phase II-B). “We are in the process of providing compensation to the remaining 20 per cent of the property owners. There are no disputes with regard to land acquisition and the process of acquisition will not take much time,” Gowdar said.

Simultaneously, BMRCL is expecting a formal approval for the Phase II A and B project from the Central government by end of March. While officials have already chosen the contractors for Phase II A through a competitive bidding process, the bids for Phase II B is expected to be finalized in a couple of months. Besides grants from the state and Centre, the BMRCL plans to raise Rs 3,760 crore from Asian Development Bank (ADB).



Source link

Advertisement

Sagar Biswas

Leave a Reply

Close Bitnami banner
Bitnami